January. proper noun. The first month of the year. According to Google, named after the Roman god Janus, the god of open doors and new beginnings. Nifty.
This marks the first What I Learned post of 2014. (And it’s just as random as the ones from last year.)
1. My college is the sixth coldest in the U.S. according to this website. I don’t know if I should be proud or transfer.
2. I don’t really get Twitter. I think it’s a little weird. Maybe it’s because I grew up practically Amish, with no Internet in our house until last year and no Facebook until after I graduated from high school and no TV ever. (This is a true story. It’s a miracle I survived adolescence.) But I am now an official Twitface, as my high school history teacher would say. Hip hip hooray. I think. Follow me here if you are so inclined.
3. New noteworthy chocolate discoveries: Lindt Dark Chocolate with Caramel and a Hint of Sea Salt and Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. So. Dang. Delicious. I know, I talk about chocolate in like every post, but this stuff is legitimately life-changing.
4. More pop culture personality quiz results (check last month for additional ones): I am Belle, my favorite classic Disney princess, according to this survey. Yes! And Hermione Granger, according to this one. Duh. And Katniss Everdeen in this one. I didn’t expect this, but the description – nature-loving, needing alone time, and protective of loved ones – fits me. And I get to marry Peeta, so I won’t argue.
5. On another fictional boyfriend note, Flynn Ryder is my true love, according to this. I don’t know if it’s accurate, but I’m totally okay with it.
6. The movie Frozen is even better the second time around. Also, a Broadway version is in the works. A trip to New York may be necessary in the near future.
7. Writing down every time I work out, the one health-improving thing I decided to do this semester, is actually quite motivating.
8. February is National Breakup Month. Not that this has any bearing on my life.
9. Jim Dale is an excellent car ride companion if you can’t have a physical person co-piloting. Trust me, I listened to five straight hours of his voice in the form of Harry Potter audiobooks on my drive from home to college. He’ll do.
10. Trader Joe’s is a great store. Organic, interesting food that’s not horrifyingly expensive? Sign me up. A favorite find (other than the aforementioned peanut butter cups): Chipotle Pepper Hummus. Yum.
11. Adding salt to pasta water, which I never, ever remember to do, actually does makes pasta more delicious.
12. ISTJs are characteristically hypersensitive to lighting, room temperature, and noises. There are legitimate reasons why I loathe overhead fluorescent lights and find random noises irrationally irritating. People, I now have an excuse for my weirdness. Well, some of it.
13. School is busy. Huh. Not sure how I forgot that. It’s caused me to not have time or energy to fun-write for a while. Don’t give up on me yet – I’m trying to get back in the groove, and some half-baked ideas are bouncing around in my brain. Until then, though, a random accumulation of Internet links is the best I can do.
See you soon, I hope.